Total Pageviews

Saturday 23 July 2011

A unique dessert

Again this is just a tempta foa the future. Mi books full of proppa desserts. 

Port Wine Jelly
A long, long time ago I used to run a pub, back in the days when even an idiot could make loads of money. Obviously, I made a fortune but it wasn’t only on the fine grub that I used to serve up; I was very clevva at buyin’ particular wines that at the time ‘ad not been discovered in the trade. I became particularly clevva at buyin’ Vintage Ports. I was given the nod from a spirits salesman one Christmas who told me that within a few years certain ports would become very collectable. Back in the early eighties I was able to buy top marques foa foa paands fifty a bokkle. So ova a period of too years I collectid case arfta case of Quinta do Noval, Dows, Cockburns an’ Taylors. So many of them were 1970 vintage, which was the best year foa decades. I just sat on ‘em foa twenty years an’ then unloadid them to an unsuspectin’ wine trade. I made a killin’ wiv individual bokkles goin’ foa too hundrid paand.
So much so, I wantid to celebrate this occasion so I inventid a top sweet araand it. You awlways remember as a kid ‘avin’ jelly an’ ice creem as a treeet. I can still remember getting’ a frill outta watchin’ the jelly wobble awl ova the place when aunt Edif brought it to the table. Mind you, that wasn’t the only fing that was shakin’ about, she ‘ad an enormous pair that she would flap about in yoa face at evri opportunity. This is my version of a grown up jelly an’ I cawls it Port Wine Wobble.

Ingredienz

Imperial                                                         Metric
Arf a pint of wautta                                        300ml of water
Too an’ free quawtta ounzes of shugga         75grms of sugar
One an’ arf sachets of gelatine                       1.5 sachets of gelatine
Arf a pint of port, non vintage                        300ml of late bottled port
Foa tablespoonz of Brandy                             60ml of brandy
Foa tablespoonz of orange juice                     60ml of freshly squeezed orange

Bring the wautta to boil in a fair sized sawsepan. Remove it from the ‘eat an’ add the shugga until it has dissolved. Allow it to cool, sprinkul on the gelatine an’ stir until it ‘as meltid. Add the port, brandy and freshly squeezed orange juice. Poa into tit shaped moulds an’ chill until it sets. Serve wiv mi ‘omemade glace de citron an’ whip ‘er knickers orf. Enjoy.

No comments: